a comfortable cup of tea

a comfortable cup of tea

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Visit With Dad

A journal entry from June 4, 2009:
I saw my dad today. I could not believe my eyes. I took his hand and he held on tight. He looked so sick, so weak. I struggled to keep my tears inside - I did not want to scare him. He just kept smiling at me and mouthing the words "I love you" over and over again. I gave him my card and Trish read to him the message I'd written inside ...
Dad,
If I could choose to be anyone I wanted to be
I would choose to be you.
You are goodness and light,
peace and mercy,
generosity and grace,
kindness and love.
You are a helper to those in need
and a consoler to those in sorrow.
You are strength, patience, and welcomer
to everyone and everything that crosses your path.
From you I have learned that every gift needs to be shared
and every person be given a seat;
that animals should be respected
and children taken care of;
that truth allows freedom
and money deserves responsibility;
that patriotism involves love
and family is everything.
I love you, Dad, with every single bit of my heart and soul,
and I thank you for finding me worthy to be your daughter.
I love you,
Sarah
Trish put it on the wall where he could see it before we left.

2 comments:

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Omg, Sarah, I'm writing through two wells of tears. Gut wrenchingly beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah, I'm crying while typing too! Your words are beautiful. I'm keeping you and yours in my prayers while we make it through this first anniversary. Love to you, Donna

a comfortable cup of tea ...

http://acomfortablecupoftea.blogspot.com/