a comfortable cup of tea

a comfortable cup of tea

Thursday, December 31, 2009

what i've learned this year ...

2009 was filled with learnings for which I am both Graced and Grateful:

• Beginnings and endings are equally difficult. • Each risk ventured results in some amount of freedom. • The “freer” I feel, the more I am able to trust. • The more I am able to trust, the safer I feel. • The safer I feel, the more I am able to risk. • Sometimes you have to act as though you’ve accomplished your goal in order to see the reality of its possibility. • I can be open and faithful to a process, even when it is uncomfortable or I disagree with a component, as long as I am able to use my voice and feel I’ve been listened to. • I don’t know how to ask for what I want or need but I am learning and practicing. • I am very hard on myself, holding myself to a high level of expectation; when I hold others to that same expectation, I am more often than not left disappointed. • When all is said and done, I am ultimately accountable to myself, who is the harshest critic I know. • I need to embrace and accept where I am in the moment, with all of the pain and discomfort that may entail, instead of wishing the past away and the future already here. • Feelings are just feelings, not judgments, and they do not make me right or wrong, good or bad. • Being overly concerned with others’ feelings and reactions can sometimes paralyze me from making decisions that choose life. • Intention alone does not equal effort. Good or healthy intentions cannot be successfully realized without honest will and desire. • Recognition is the first hurdle of the relay toward wholeness. • Behaviors give messages and have a purpose. • I often find it difficult and uncomfortable to accept the giftedness others see in me. • ART and CREATING are self-soothing forms for me to get in touch with what I haven’t words to express: my Inner Self. • My safe place is in the arms of God, regardless of whether or not I am able to recognize that Presence. • Because of God’s Presence, I am never alone in this process we call Life, no matter where it takes me. • It is the time spent concentrating on my goodness that makes my goodness recognizable. • Recognizing the good inside is a means of recognizing God and honoring the Divine within. May 2010 be equally Graced...

3 comments:

Tipper said...

Even though it was a trying year-my heavens just looking at your list inspires me to try harder-to be better : )

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Omg, Sarah! When I saw your comment, I felt such excitement to see you! And it didn't feel as though it were a year! It feels like just yesterday!

I admire your reflections and words of wisdom, Sarah! I couldn't agree with them more!

(((Sarah))) So lovely to see you again! Petra xo

Anonymous said...

Sarah, your learnings are profound, simple and life changing. May you carry them with you into 2010 as you journey a new, yet familiar road on your way through life. Thank you for your friendship!
Karen

a comfortable cup of tea ...

http://acomfortablecupoftea.blogspot.com/